Tuesday 29 March 2011

Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2

Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2
Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year.

I was a bit concerned after reading todays topic as I don't really think that I have learnt any new skills over the past year. Instead I think that I have been fine tuning the skills I already have. For example it was around this time last year that I started to work with Japanese crochet patterns. I bought the book Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts - Lacy Crochet and began working on patterns using the diagrams rather than written step by step instructions. 






Kyuuto! was a wonderful book for a beginner because it had basic written instructions. The blanket that I made recently was from another Japanese book, this time with no English whatsoever. Although the patterns look daunting at first I now find them easier to follow than written ones. I do still struggle occasionally with small parts that I don't quite understand but so far have been successful in just winging it.






As for the coming year I would like to learn stitches such as the front post double crochet. Every time I come across a pattern that has such stitches I am put off. Maybe this is a touch of laziness on my part because I understand what I am supposed to do but have convinced myself that its too complicated.


I would also like to try some freeform crochet. I had a go once and it was fun so I would like to do some more. It would be good for me to loosen up a bit.


Is there anything that you would like to learn? Or is anything that you think that I should learn? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.


Much love.
 x



Ps. If you are interested in learning to work from diagrams as opposed to written patterns, may I suggest Crochet Adorned by Linda Permann. The reason I would suggest this is because it has written instructions as well as diagrams. It also has information explaining the different symbols. I just wish that I had found it earlier, it could have been very helpful.

10 comments:

  1. AH thank you for the suggestion on the book. While I can read a pattern from graph rather than text, it is definitely not my strong point. A question to you - are the Japanese stitches drawn the same as US or did you have to figure out a conversion (much like UK stitches and US stitches).

    And as a side note: fpdc is not hard at all - in fact, I'd say it's a lil easier than a normal dc :) I have a video on my blog that you can check out for just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the Japanese books, the styling is wonderful! I have three now and am managing, like you with a bit of winging, to work my way through some of the diagrams. They are gorgeous books. :)
    Vivienne x
    P.S. I'm off to the post office now, should be with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess to being a newish collector of those Japanese crochet books and have three up to now (a small collection yes) which I love looking through. I love what you have made though, well done on deciphering the diagrams!

    Learning something new...let me see, yes - I would most certainly like to learn how to be a good photographer and to understand how to really use a camera - that and re-learn Spanish again.
    They're on my wish list, so you never know!

    Love J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your crochet work, I have never heard of Japanese crochet. I wanted to learn to crochet this year thats my goal and i have started but boy is it hard it does not come easy to me like knitting has. Good luck with your work, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have never even heard of front post double crochet!! I'd love to have a go at something from that amazing Japanese book one day - I guess I will have to buy the book first though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The FPDC really isn't that bad. I always find that techniques with longer names always sound more complicated than they are.

    I think I would like to learn to knit some fairisle. And learn to put colours together confidently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is a front post thingy magig ?
    I can just about manage the blanket I'm doing which has easy stiches.
    I havent seen any Japanese books only a couple of crafting ones which looked great, might try the library.
    A new skill Mmmmmmmm I would love to paint botanical pictures like the Victorians did.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOhhhhh, you are talking a foreign launguage i don't understand!!!
    MUST add crochet to my (long) list of things to conquor as it appeals on so many levels.

    Re: teeny birdhouse
    YES, Modge Podge comes in a waterproof version so Mr and Mrs Tiny Bird will be safe and dry!
    fee ♥
    ps modge podge = v easy compared to crochet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emma! Those books must be wonderful! I prefer patterns with diagramms. Here the yarn is expensive and it's hard to find good quality (should learn to use more internet).
    Best sunny wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to progress with my crochet beyond a treble stitch granny square. That's all I can muster at the moment! I prefer to follow written instructions rather than a complicated (well, it looks complicated to me) diagram. xx

    ReplyDelete