Monday 4 October 2010

When Typewriters Are Like Buses


Hello my dears, I hope that the day is finding you well. We have a strange phenomenon here today, it's sunny! I hope it's the same where you are.


This week I'm going to share with you some of my finds from over the summer. I have a mental list of things that I and the family should look out for. I did have a written list but of course it got lost. Anyhow one of the things at the top of said list is a vintage typewriter. I love letters that have been typewritten and I know you can do similar on a PC but it's just not the same. So for months we were on the lookout but either didn't find any or when we did the seller would be asking ridiculous amounts of money.

Over the summer however we struck lucky. We decided to go to a town that we had never been to before and lo and behold there in a lovely charity shop we unearthed not one typewriter but TWO! Oh the excitement, we were chuffed to bits. The following week we went back again and you wouldn't believe it but yes, there was another one. So now we have not one typewriter but three!

Around here we have a saying that goes something like..... You wait ages for a bus then three come along all at once. That is what happened us with these lovelies......








Have found any great items lately? 
For more thrifty finds call and see Her Library Adventures and Apron Thrift Girl.
x








16 comments:

  1. Oh I know what you mean about typewriters! I was on the look out for ages for one, and several months ago I got one the same as your bottom photo. I love it, but the bears are desperate to use it...no way...so have to put it on their christmas list! ha ha! My mum was a typist for many years and when I was under the weather and off school, sometimes she would have to take me to her work and let me lie on a couch in her office. There was this scent of typewriter reel in her office which I found strangely comforting, so a vintage typewriter had to be got! It's great to find a treasure you have been after for a while! Happy monday! xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just any typewriters either! I guess it pays to wish and wait. You got beauties and some of the best names.
    When I was working we had some antiquated ones, yes after computers were available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and hello . . . . . . . . .
    and thank you for the comment on my blog . . . . love Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thank you for leading me to Her Library Adventures! And thanks for the comment on my blog about my tea cup, isn't it heaven? Your typewriters are HEAVENLY too! I especially love the last blue one. "Chuffed to bits" -- what an awesome saying!! You gave me lots of smiles today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the typewriters! My find this week was a Hermes 3000 and I am SO IN LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them! Especially the last one! Well done! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw one very similar to the blue one in the first pic in a charity shop only the other day! Can you get the ribbons still?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're all gorgeous! I love vintage typewriters, I had 6 but had to do a clearout recently and sold 3 of them, I miss them :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to check out this idea - I saw it and am now in the market for a typewriter too!

    http://www.wheremyheartis.net/?p=2774

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm I love both of the blue ones. Nice finds! Three in one place is some sort of crazy luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember having a Smith-Corona typewriter when I was in my teens! Like so many other things that I see in blogland these days I ask myself where did that go to!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What super finds, wonderful colours! I used to like the tapping sound the keys made, I wonder where my little old brown typewriter went to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are very impressive finds, I must say. A friend of mine has one very similar to the top one- it is just gorgeous, except the brand is Remington. I must visit some of the country op shops here as I am told they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the blue one especially and I know what you mean about sunshine, I live near manchester too ;) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the bright blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your finds - well done! I have one on The Munchkins' Christmas list this year also and think I found 'the one' today - if it's still there after our holiday it's mine!

    ReplyDelete